China is a great place to import products and make good business. This phrase is phasing out speedily. One product one city policy of Government has been yielding good growth rate in economy. Recent trend among some of the suppliers has created bad image about suppliers of China.
Goods are not given as per the samples. Delaying of goods is a normal practice. Before Chinese New Year, factories tend to disappear after taking advances commonly called as deposits from the buyers.
Recently a person from Israel known to be good buyer of lights planned to shift his purchases to India from China. He gave list of reasons which are as follows :
- Chinese suppliers do not care about giving right quality of goods. The reason being reimports in China is next to impossible.
- Language is a big barrier and many suppliers take undue advantage of this.
- Nowadays, suppliers blame unavailability of packing due to Environment laws and delay the goods.
- After taking advance (deposit) they show inability to supply at the given price and seek to hike the prices.
5. He gets to know problem in goods through his clients who are based in his local market. He is compelled to reimburse the losses to save his image but suppliers in China seldom do that.
- There have been incidences whereby cartons filled with thermocol were sent instead of real goods.
- Food habits in China are completely different and when he comes to China for buying goods, he loses weight.
- In last three years, he has only lost money by importing goods from China as same supplier sells goods for cheap to other buyers from his country.
- Goods designed by him are being sold to others and also being copied by other manufacturers as his supplier could not take care.
- Money is invested for long time in importing and sales in local market are on credit basis, Many times goods he bought from China turned out to be costlier than the ones available in local market.
This story is of a buyer. Then, so called middleman that is expats settled in China to help manufacturers sell their goods, have their side of story too.
- Expats in China, convince people in their country to import from China and assure to help them in buying.
- They take care of all the language problems between buyer and supplier.
- They take care of local travel which is very scary for any foreigner visiting China, again language being a big hurdle and sign boards in English may end up taking them back to immigration.
- Food requirements of buyer is fulfilled by so called middlemen.
- Right from getting buyer to factory to loading and getting goods cleared in importing country is managed by expats settled in China.
- At times these expats also compensate buyers for bad supplies and also face defamation in their home country.
- Expats are blamed both by buyer for fault of suppliers and by suppliers for delays in payment or too much negotiation.
- Suppliers, start supplying goods directly to buyers introduced by expats even when they know that the importer owes to the Expat or so called middleman.
Life of an expat in China is not easy or luxurious as what people may think. Suppliers should be respected for their efforts to give good quality supplies and at the same time Expats should be praised and paid for their efforts in promoting business of China.
Expats are bridge for business in China. Harmonious relations, with ethical supplies can bring loads of fortune for everyone. Great things can be achieved by working ethically and jointly. It takes years to nurture a relation and few seconds to demolish. Nobody will do business if he or she is not being able to earn. It’s not only that suppliers have rights of earning but at the same time, people arranging for trade and buyers also have equal rights to earn.